FAQ - Civil Division

How can I file for a divorce on my own?

We have divorce packets in our office that you can purchase. They range from $10 to $20, depending on your particular situation. You will then need to make an appointment with the Family Law Center on the third floor of this building. They will assist you with the paperwork and answer your questions as you fill it out. You bring it back to our office after it’s all filled out to file it with the court. The cost is $215, plus and extra $50 if you need to have the other party served by the Sheriff’s Office. You can also find the divorce packets on our Family Law Information Center webpage and print out the one that applies to you, thus saving yourself that cost.

How do I take someone to court if they owe me money for work I did for them?

If the claim is for $15,000 or less, it’s considered “Small Claims,” and you would do that in Magistrate Court.  They have forms you can use for the claim.  If it’s more than $15,000, you can file with us in State or Superior Court, but we don’t have forms, and it’s up to you to provide everything needed for the filing.

How to get custody of children?

You would need to talk to an attorney or research it online at the larger counties’ website for the appropriate forms for a Petition for Custody.

Where do I get a marriage license?

Probate Court.

Where do I get a restraining order?

Legal Advocates office on the 4th floor.

View All FAQ's